Sunday, March 27, 2011

Amaryllis

This is the amaryllis my mom gave me, AFTER it received lots of light, water, and love. Before, it only had two limp, sad, overgrown leaves for the longest time and nothing else. I cut the leaves so they wouldn't droop and took it home. They later fell off, and a flower stalk slowly emerged. Evan tells it he loves it often. It must know I love it too. Have you ever read The Secret Life of Plants? They do have sympathies and preferences and respond to more than just their physical environment. I watched my dad lovingly care for house and outdoor plants that grew many times their ordinary size and were vibrantly healthy. He watered his many fruit and nut trees and grapevines with a firehose and fed his plants compost from kitchen scraps. Gifts for others were often beautiful flowering plants and Christmas trees were live, to be planted in our yard later. I just discovered our third tree in our backyard must be an apricot! That's what I was hoping it would be. The others are apple and pear. I've had to prune them, which sure is tough at six months pregnant, but hey, somebody has to do it. I hope my trees forgive me.

2 comments:

Tina said...

yummmm! Utah apricots and peaches are THE BEST! Jealous! (though you didn't say you had peaches, you'll be able to get them!!)

Anna Stoelting Dailey said...

How beautiful! My black thumb is finally beginning to dissipate. I can grow vegetables, but I still can't grow flowers, darn it all. I'd love advice. And congratulations on your fruit trees! That'll be fun.