Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Dad updates--Clarification

Note: The information in this post is mostly for family members who might want to know details about my Dad's health--I know that if I were still in Maryland that I would. I will try my best to update as we get new info and also to include some of the activities he's involved in during each week. To the few friends that might still be reading my blog: thanks for hanging in there! I will also still post things our little family does from time to time.

Monday, Dad had an appointment with his neurologist who has decided that Dad is doing well enough physically to handle an increase in one of his Parkinson's meds. This particular medication is called Sinemet and helps increase the amount of dopamine in his brain. His oxygen level, blood pressure and pulse all gave good readings (ask me and I'll let you know the numbers if you want). Today he was weighed and he has gained eight pounds--now he's at 126!!! I think this is excellent news--it means his digestive system has recovered and also that he's eating better.

Today his music therapist Tatiana came and sang and played her keyboard for him. I wasn't here, but Jonathan says she performed "Oh, What a Beautiful Morning", "Tomorrow", and other stuff from musicals. Dad loves listening to her each Tuesday. I have no pictures yet but will drag out my camera and get them!


P.S. After talking to Mom today, I realized I was lacking some info I needed for this post--to clarify, the reason for the increase in the Sinemet is that Dad is considerably weaker physically than he was at his last neurologist appointment 8 months ago. Yes, his vitals look good and his weight is up, but his physical strength is remarkably lower than when he was last seen. He walks only a few steps each morning with support and then that's it for the day. All in all, he has good days when he helps lift himself and can hold on when standing, and bad days when he can't support himself at all, he's so tired. On the bright side: in the 12 days I've been here, he's only had one bad day.

2 comments:

My25Cents said...

Margaret - so glad you're able to be there for your family and especially your dad. I admire anyone that cares for the sick among us.

So-- obviously I was clueless that you had moved. I knew the other place was up for sale. Are you all there indefinitely? Oh boy! Please fill me in.

Love to all 5 of you.

Jana said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing well and you are able to be there to help out. Have you moved to Utah? We went to 7-Eleven yesterday for a slurpee and Billy kept calling it 7-Evan. It made me think of the Campbells. :) Miss you.