Thursday, April 1, 2010

Latest news

For crying out loud, let's get a new post in here. March was a super busy and crazy month--our house is now up for sale, though we were hoping to stay as renters for awhile longer, at least until Jonathan is settled in a long-term job. So March 1st a truck drove up and pounded a for sale sign in the front lawn. The showings started a few days later, and thank goodness they've slowed down by now. We've had a few dozen this month, it seems. I hope they do eventually sell this house, for their sake, but for ours, I hope it won't be until this summer (or later).

Apparently the investigation is still ongoing for Jonathan's security clearance: they want to interview both him and his current boss next week. THIS should be interesting (you know, because the clearance is for a different job). Whatever happens, though, will be O.K. We have considered the worst-case scenario, and if that happens, everything will still be fine--this is in the Lord's hands.

Here's a little peek into our family life: First, I made some rye/wheat sourdough bread--the recipe makes dense, heavy bread that DOESN'T rise no matter how warm/moist the air is or how long I let it sit. It stays the same height that it was when I put it in the pans. I said that this was the last time I struggle with this bread; I'm done making it forever. Lucie was busy screaming at me to fix something about her lunch to her satisfaction (this happens often)and I was getting irritated with her because I was trying to serve everyone lunch and couldn't understand what she wanted. I looked over at Evan. He was silently crying! My heart softened and I went over to him to ask if he was sad because I was upset with Lucie. He shook his head. Finally he told me that he was crying because I said I'd never make sourdough bread again. I comforted him and told him that I would make it if he loved it that much. But it would have to be a different recipe. For lunch he had four slices of it slathered in honey and butter. The other kids won't touch it with a ten-foot pole. My Evan has discriminating tastes.

Don't worry, Lucie is my little buddy and I am thoroughly enjoying this stage of her life--she is still so small and cute and kissable. I told her she's going to have to help pay for my hearing aids later, though.

3 comments:

Tina said...

My little kids used to frustrate me so much! I look at young mothers with wonder . . . they seem to have everything put together! I wish I could go back and just enjoy every moment a little more. (not to say your not doing that, saying that "I" did that!!!!!) Time swiftly flies by, believe it or not!!!!

Glad someone likes the bread! Good luck with the security check! and hope your home your living in doesn't sell too quickly!

Jana said...

How sweet that Evan likes that bread. :) Hope everything goes well with the security clearance and the house. Miss you.

Lauren T said...

Hi Aunt Margaret! Thanks for keeping us updated on Grandpa - we appreciate it up here in Seattle :-D Thought I'd also share this: http://smittenkitchen.com/2009/01/light-wheat-bread/
It's the best sandwich bread & it's super easy, most of the time is waiting around for the rising.