Sunday, October 11, 2009

Quebec City, Part deux

OOOOkay, it's about time I start blogging again. Time to finish what I started a couple of months ago. I believe I promised something about posting pictures of Montreal--which I will, but not in this post, because...

I haven't finished with Quebec city yet!!!

(And you don't want to see too many pictures in one post.)

Let's see...where was I?

The chapel. When I was a missionary 11 years ago, there was only one branch in Quebec City, and they met in a tiny chapel. We took a cab to church, expecting to see that same chapel, maybe more people if the branch had grown and become a ward. I was very surprised when we were dropped off on the outskirts of the city at a stake center on a huge church-owned lot. Yes, the branch is a ward now, and there's another branch that meets at a different time--the church is really growing here! I did recognize many people I knew and loved on my mission. (Sorry, I did not get any photos of them.)

But here's the church, which I finally remembered to take just before the cab came.



Here is the view from the city wall near the Chateau Frontenac (overlooking the Saint Lawrence River):



Quebec is 401 years old: founded in 1608. They are apparently still celebrating their 400th anniversary because we saw tons of people in period costume wandering around selling things, playing instruments, and giving tours. We loved all of it.


Somewhere around here Jonathan tasted his first poutine: french fries covered with cheese curds and gravy--the uniquely Quebecois junk food. He thought it was okay, but a little weird. People here love it.
We had to photograph this gorgeous church (the Notre-Dame de Quebec):










Les Jardins de Jeanne-d'Arc (the Joan of Arc gardens), so peaceful, restful, and beautiful:









1 comment:

Tina said...

gorgeous pictures! My favorite is the succulent garden . . . .